BMW S1000XR or Multistrada DVT

Discussion in 'Multistrada 1200 Discussion' started by Thunderbird, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Thunderbird United Kingdom

Thunderbird New Member

Its going to be some summer! and a dilemma to boot. I currently have a 2013 Multistrada 1200S Touring with Sky hook, I will be changing later this year, the question is, which new version of the latest adventure Sport model to go for, obviously until we can carry out our own test rides and before the press release their verdicts we can only make assessments on what the manufacturers have released to date, it will be interesting to see what improvements Ducati have made and if they have been listening to our concerns / complaints & issues. Both bikes seem evenly matched Spec and equipment wise but there is one or two issues that could sway it.
    • Multistrada DVT does it actually improve low rev smoothness (I know it is still a V Twin)
    • BMW S1000XR in line 4 should be silky smooth
    • Skyhook - Too harsh / firm for me, hope its been improved
    • BMW S1000XR has Dynamic ESA - is it any better?
    • BMW S1000XR has Gear Shift Assist Pro
    • Multistrada has Colour TFT clocks
    • BMW S1000XR has a basic clock layout
    • Multistrada has integrated luggage
    • BMW S1000XR has Scaffold to accommodate the Luggage
    Most other things are on par, What would be the decider for you???

2. M100bert United Kingdom

M100bert New Member

I'm no expert and did look at the BM before deciding to go for the MS. The only thing that really swayed it for me was the look of the BM, all personal preference of course but I just don't like the way it looks

3. Psalliss

Psalliss New Member

I'm defiantly going to try the bow when it's released as will be looki at changing my 2013 a touring this year. Really like the multi but have been disappointed with build quality and corrosion otherwise wouldn't be considering the bmw

4. Mark Perkins Australia

Mark Perkins New Member

I see several references to quality and corrosion on the UK Multistradas. Is this a result of the salt and shell-grit they put on your roads to prevent icing? Here in Oz, we don't have the extremes in cold weather unless of course people go to the snow regions in Winter, and even then the roads simply require chains. Does anybody think their corrosion issues relate solely to quality of parts?

5. Marty Australia

Marty New Member

Don't think its a issue here unless you leave it parked on the beach, seen plenty of Multi here with lots of K's no corrosion issues

6. Mark Perkins Australia

Mark Perkins New Member

Than
    Thanks Marty, appreciated. I figured the issue was more a European climate factor than simply quality control.

7. Simmo63 United Kingdom

Simmo63 New Member

Stay loyal to the Duke, A friend of mine has had reliability problems with his GS after returning his origional under warranty and the replacement no better! not a good record for BMW.

8. Majvs United Kingdom

Majvs New Member

I've tried them both and the jury is still out.
    The new DVT is much better than the old one is some areas. Handling, braking and low down running. However the quest to cure the low down lumpiness seems to have robbed the Ducati of some of its character somehow. A quick ride left me feeling a bit underwhelmed.
    The XR doesn't have any problem with low speed running as its a 4 and is just as happy round town as it is on the B roads. The handling and braking are on par with the MTS and the engine is absolutely ballistic, firing up the road in a flurry of quick shifting gear changes. Coming down the box was not quite as nice as the auto blipper felt a bit stiff and awkward on the test bike (it's because it needs its service, sir). Overall though it all felt a bit too frantic. I felt the need to cane the BMW at every opportunity just to experience the engine (and the test bike was limited to 9k so gawd only knows what it's like when it's allowed full revs). Motorway work wasn't quite as pleasant. The engine felt buzzy especially at legal speeds. Faster you went, the smoother it seemed to be. A licence loser methinks.
    Compared to my well sorted MTS both new bikes seemed to have their sweet spots higher up the Rev range. I'm not sure I like that so as I said the jury's out and a second longer test for both will be needed to see if I can adapt to this new higher rev/speed world.

#8 Majvs, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015